Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bunco Babes

So last night was my month to host Bunco in my neighborhood. For those of you unfamiliar with Bunco, it's a dice game involving 100% luck and no skill, easy scoring and a simple set of rules. The 12-16 women who are part of a Bunco group take turns as the Bunco hostess, providing snacks, refreshments and the tables to set up the games. Members pay anywhere from $5-20 per game. The object of the game is to accumulate points and to roll certain combinations. The winners get a portion of the money collected for accomplishments such as the most wins, most losses, most wipeouts,or the most buncos.

I left work around 1pm so that I had plenty of time to finish cleaning, set up the tables and cook dinner. I chose to make butternut squash soup, vegetable pumpkin lasagna, breadsticks and cake for dessert. The whole day was filled with one issue after another. I originally wanted to make these cute cupcake lollipops, and they were a freakin' bitch to make and I had to scrape them at the last minute. I made a generic French Vanilla cake with Chocolate frosting instead. My hubby failed to see why I was stressing and offered to go buy me a dessert from the grocery store. I was shocked and dismayed at his suggestion. I'm known in the neighborhood for my homemade desserts, I can't serve something store bought!! He laughed, told me I was nuts, and went about his business.

Next, as I was preparing the soup with my fabulous girlfriends help, my damn blender decided to bust a leak and the soup go everywhere. Awesome! Then, as the party time is rapidly approaching, I put the lasagna in the oven.... without turning the dang oven on! I check on it about 25 minutes later and to my horror discover it's not cooking, so I freak out, turn the oven on, and say a prayer. Luckily, it all came together (with some help from my girlfriend) and everyone loved the food.

Around 8pm we started playing and I managed to maintain my seat the the Head table for 7 games (this meant I was winning each game and didn't have to switch tables). In the end, I ended up winning $15 for most Wins and I was so excited. I even rolled a Bunco, which is three 6's! Ah, typical suburbian life. I love it!

No comments: