Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Weddings and Such

A girlfriend of mine is getting married this month and we've been chit-chatting about hair and makeup and photography, etc. All this wedding talk had me thinking about my own wedding almost three years ago, and I thought I would wax poetic about it since most of my current friends were not in the picture back then.

Let me take you back a bit to when my hubby & I lived in Orlando, Florida. We had talked about getting married a few times and my hubby told me hints about all his great ideas and plans for a marriage proposal. We decided a nice October wedding in Austin would be great and I figured a proposal would soon follow. Lo and behold, we both just decided to do it one day and set a date, just like that, no proposal! Oh well, I suppose we always were a bit backwards!!

I planned a Texas wedding for 150 people from Florida and let me tell you, it wasn't easy. As many of you know, I'm a big planner and it pains me not to be hands-on with a lot of tasks. My hubby's parents gave us a budget and I worked damn hard to fit it, and I was able to pull a lot of strings and get really great vendor pricing. We had family friends do the photography, catering,etc. I got my dress on sale and let my bridesmaids choose any style of dress in red.

A good friend of ours acted as our officiant and we had 18 people in our bridal party. Let me tell you, there wasn't a dry eye in the house on the groom's side of the bridal party when I walked down the aisle! I like to joke that my girls kept it in and the boys were crying like leaky faucets! Jason actually rode up to the ceremony on a horse, which everyone loved. It was a bittersweet day in a way because my mother and sister were not able to come to my wedding. My controlling and spastic stepfather forbade them to come but a friend of mine called my mom on speaker phone so she could hear the whole ceremony.

We had friends and family come from all over and the party lasted from Thursday to Sunday. I don't think we actually went to bed until 6am on Sunday and some guests had such early flights they just partied the night and morning away until it was time to head to the airport. We danced, drank and tossed pumpkins until the early morning light appeared. People slept in the backseat of cars, in cabins and outside!

In that entire weekend, I had never felt so much love and positive energy! Everyone was there to celebrate us and to get down and party. We laughed, we cried, drank until we couldn't drink anymore and I have some of the most wonderful memories of that day!

No comments: