I went to Barnes and Noble last night in an effort to stock up on books to read on the airplane next week. My favorite thing is to peruse the sale rack and snag books for $4-5 that look good. I could spend hours in the bookstore looking at the covers and reading the synopsis on the inside of the book jacket. I don't really have a method to my madness for picking books, I just try to find ones that look interesting.
While I was roaming the store, I couldn't help but notice the ridiculous amount of books that deal with vampires. You can definitely blame it on the Twilight series, as there were never that many books being shown so predominately in the store. It's almost a blatant in-your-face, if you love Twilight and you love vampires you'll love my book, kind of deal. A friend of mine had suggested reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, which is the basis of the HBO vampire series True Blood. I picked up the first book in the series because it's apparently very humorous and entertaining to read.
What's funny to me is that most of these vampire books are targeted to the "young adult" readers. It would appear that us older and more mature readers would have no interest in the vampire lure. Twilight was tarted to young adults and I would guess about half of it's loyal readers were over 25! The Sookie Stackhouse series is targeted to the older crowd, so I'm excited to start reading it next Wednesday. My dang plane leaves at 6am, so I'll be needing something to keep me occupied while I wait for the plane to depart.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment