I read an article about a high school graduation ceremony over the weekend in South Carolina. Apparently, the school has a rule that so cheering or clapping is allowed as names are being called to receive their diploma's so that every one's name can be heard. I understand the logistics of the rule, but was it really necessary to arrest and charge 7 people who they caught cheering?
Those arrested maintain it wasn't even outrageously loud cheering, more like a quick hoot and first-in-air thrusting. Big freaking deal! I still think it was a bit overboard to arrest the family members and friends who were excited.
This story made me think back to my college graduation in 2000. Given my whole family drama, my mom and sister snuck away and brought my grandparents to watch me walk and receive my college diploma. Seven or eight of my good friends and my now husband came to cheer me on as well. If my hazy memory serves me right, I think light applause and cheering was allowed. What I don't think was allowed were the beer and flasks that my lovely group brought along to make the ceremony go by faster!
I just remember my mom shaking her head when we were laughing about it when the ceremony was finally over. I managed to graduate in 3 years so I didn't have a ton of friend/colleges at that particular graduation. I didn't want to sit next to some guy or girl I didn't know, so I cut the line and went to the back to be with the few friends that were also graduating that day. By doing this, I threw the line and seating out of whack and it was really funny because it was in alphabetical order.
I'm releaved we didn't have stricter rules at my graduation, because chances are they would have arrested the whole group of friends and me for disorderly conduct!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment