Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Online Etiquette

As most of you know, I've recently joined the Facebook community. I know, it's been a long time coming. While it seems impossible in this day and age, I've managed to not have a personal MySpace page. I never understood the lure of having a MySpace page where I could chat with friends and leave written messages and post pictures for the world to see. Let's face it, we've all seen and heard the stories of girls posting pictures of themselves in provacative poses that have caused them trouble at work or school. I just didn't see the allure of letting my "info" hang out in webspace.

Being that I've joined Facebook (the less intrusive cousin to MySpace) I've come accross a few things I'd like to discuss. First off, putting your info out may lead to unwanted "friend requests" such as from an old boyfriend/girlfriend. Is it polite to simply hit Ignore or should you also leave a message stating why you are ingnoring their request?

Second, what the hell is "poking" someone? It sounds dirty if you ask me! No, it seems like you couldn't take the time to write a few lines to say hello, so you just poke them. I still don't get it.

Third, you have to realize that people from all stages of your life could find you and try to make contact. For example, I have not talked or seen my cousin's (from my father's side of the family) in over 10 years. I decided to do a quick search for them and voila, guess who I found. I have no interest in contacting them, but if I could find them that easy, who could find me that easily? My biological dad, perhaps? I haven't seen or heard from him in 8 years and, again, have no desire to initiate contact (another story for a different day).

Alas, I am enjoying the special "Girls" group where we can easily upload pictures for the group to share privately. It makes it easy to share the pictures in one spot and not send a million emails. I'm all about simplicity (for the most part).

Call me old fashion, but my "future babies" will not be spending so much damn time on the computer and Internet. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you called me old-fashioned, I sometime refer to my clothes drier as "that drying machine!"

1 comment:

Fancy Girl said...

I hear ya. It took me a while to do the Facebook thing too. Never did the MySpace thing...
What you said got me thinking...I have already had that ex-boyfriend from H.S. thing happen to me. How could I ignore him 2x? We have a mutual friend that I did add to my Facebook. So he is now on my Facebook as a "friend"...WTH was I thinking back then???
Anyway, I just logged on and changed my Privacy Preferences to "Friends Only" on everything...you should take a look at yours.