Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer Camp

For the past week I have noticed that morning traffic has been considerably light compared to recent months. I was thinking that most people were on vacation, but then I remembered school was out. Summer is here! I love the summer months because my normal 50 minute drive to work becomes 40, gotta love those 10 minutes of extra sleep!

The radio is playing ads for different summer camps offered around town. Truth be told, I feel a pang of jealousy for kids who get to attend camp. I remember being younger and begging my mother to send me off to camp. Something exotic, like Camp Salute Your Shorts that used to be on Nickelodeon. But alas, my mother informed me camp was for "bad kids" who needed discipline. Which meant as a reward for being a "good kid" I was subjected to being babysat by my grandmother for the entire summer. For crying out loud, she had plastic covering on her furniture!

My sister and I could only play downstairs (which had a scary basement) and play Barbie games on Nintendo. Our other option was to watch Hawaii 50 with grandmom (or G-mom as we lovingly called her). Wow, let's weigh the options: Bad kid= away to summer camp or Good Kid= summer with Gmom.

I know, I know, some people didn't have a grandmother, yada yada. I was 8 or 9, what kind of feelings do you expect?! I've asked my husband if we would one day send our "future babies" to camp. He enthusiastically responded with a yes and went on to explain how much fun he had attending different camps when he was younger. When I informed him he must have been a "trouble-child" to be sent to camp, he proceeded to tell me I was nuts and I have to say I slightly agree, but at least I wasn't a "trouble-child!"

1 comment:

Kris10 said...

I only went "away" to summer camp once, and it was a Bible/Church camp...the one memory that comes to mind is my sister being in the polar bear club which meant she woke up at the butt crack of dawn & jumped into a very cold lake! That, and my camp counselor was in a competition with other counselors to see who could grow out their leg hairs the longest- GROSS!!!!