Health insurance is such a complex web of crap, I'm always mystified about the thought process of insurance providers. For example: I had to pick up my birth control pills this weekend and the total price came to $23.75. What did my insurance provider save me? A measly $2.75, wow.
You would think that insurance providers would cover birth control pills 100%. After all, it's much cheaper than pregnancy. I've read that normal pregnancies cost anywhere from $25-45,000. Hmm, let me think, which would be cheaper for the company. Option 1- Cover bc pills at a price of $312 per year, or $25,000 in pregnancy related cost. They could cover a single person for 80 years for bc pills in what it would cost for one pregnancy. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
The pitiful amount they do cover is enough to make me want to call them and tell them the error of their ways. Do they realize they could help with unplanned or unwanted babies if they covered the price of birth control pills? Like I said, I just don't understand the insurance companies. They'll cover the muscle relaxants I needed for my back spasms almost 100%, but not a pill that would ensure I wouldn't have baby and cost them to cover a large hospital bill? Something is amiss here, but I don't know what to do about it.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment