I don't eat red meat often, but when I do, look out! It's a huge piece of steak or a few hamburgers, etc. Throughout high school and my first year of college I did not eat any red meat and I felt really good back then. This leads me to believe I can go without eating red meat and not have a problem with lack of choices. I decided to do a little research on the good old Food Pyramid, and found this updated version.

The theory is that you along with proper exercise, you should be eating from the bottom of the pyramid up. As you can see, red meat falls at the very top of the pyramid, along with soda, white bread, salt, butter, etc. So in an effort to boost my health, I am going to give up red meat (which is difficult for the body to digest) along with white breads and salt. Lord help me with giving up salt, I'm addicted to it!
There really is no excuse to not eat healthy. I know it's easier to pop a frozen meal into the microwave for dinner, but it's not the healthiest choice. The most common excuse I hear about eating healthy is the price of healthier foods. In the short run this food may cost slightly more, but in the long run your health will be better and you'll pay less to take care of it as you age. I do believe moderation of all foods is key and I struggle with that on a somewhat daily basis. I figure if I work on my health now, I'll be rewarded with less health issues in the coming years. Wish me luck!



No comments:
Post a Comment